In recent years, data breaches have become a big concern for businesses of all sizes across all industries. As hackers have become more innovative and dynamic, IT security remains a pressing issue. The number of data breaches in the U.S. increased by 40% from 2015 to 2016, reaching a record high of 1,093, according to the Identity Theft Resource Center.
At the same time, the practice of working remotely has become more prevalent. Cloud-based solutions, remote desktop information software, and other tools have made it possible for employees to work from home or while traveling. Remote work capabilities come with a range of benefits, like allowing employers to hire skilled people who don't live within commuting distance and letting employees in the field or on the road avoid missing important meetings and calls.
However, if remote workers use unsecured networks, they run the risk of giving hackers and malware access to sensitive company data. For organizations that want to defend against cyberattacks and data breaches, a secure virtual private network (VPN) can serve as a solution.How a VPN Works
A VPN allows remote offices or individual workers to access a company's network using a public telecommunication infrastructure. It uses virtual connections rather than dedicated ones like leased lines. VPNs typically fall into one of these two categories:
- Site-to-site VPN: This type of VPN involves connecting fixed sites with large-scale encryption and dedicated equipment. A site-to-site solution like this can allow businesses to avoid paying for long private leased lines.
- Remote access VPN: This category of VPN connects individuals at various remote places to the company LAN. Usually an organization will accomplish this through an Internet dial-up account from an Internet service provider. Remote workers can then dial in to access the company network.
A secure VPN solution can give your business a number of advantages. Here are just some of the benefits your organization can potentially experience by using a VPN:
- Gaining secure remote access to your company's network and minimizing data breach risk
- Ability to support flexible work arrangements (on the go and from home)
- Saving time and money by letting workers access the company network without commuting to the main office
- Boosting productivity by making it possible for employees to work anywhere and at any time
- Achieving lower operational costs than your organization would with a traditional Wide Area Network (WAN)
If you'd like to learn more about secure VPN solutions and how your organization could benefit from implementing one, don't hesitate to contact us today by calling 877-599-3999 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Our expert team of certified IT technicians can answer any questions you have and help you find IT security solutions that meet your unique business needs.